The Huntsville Business and Professional Women’s Club opened the Madison County Library in Huntsville on July 16, 1953. According to one of their spokeswomen, “the BPW has given Huntsville and Madison County a soul.” The first library was located in the basement of the Madison County Courthouse. The first librarian was Miss Norma Jean Barker. Most of the books belonged to the Arkansas Library Commission and in the early days all donations were most welcome. Initially the library was open three days a week. In 1970 the library moved to the old Madison County Community Center where it remained until the Madison County Library building was completed.
On September 14, 2006, the new Madison County Public Library was dedicated. It was the only new library facility completed in Arkansas in 2006. It took years of planning and fundraising to make the dream of a new facility into reality. The entire county has been excited about its new library ever since.